So, let us continue our little tutorial.
As I said, my current work in progress is a British paratrooper in 1944, how they saw combat during operation Overlord and Operation Market Garden.
And as promised, this will become an earth base suitable for most combat scenarios set in Western Europe.
At first I had to think about how I would like to have the base and colors used to create an “accurate” ground setting. I decided to use the “around Arnheim”-scenario, how it is suggested by the 1977 movie “a bridge to far”. But nevertheless I would like to customize the base.
As I am currently short on grass for the bases, I therefore decided not to finish the base but prepare it as far as possible. We will see if this is going to work.
But at first the example from the movie:
At first we need our paratrooper with the primed base. And … here he comes, somehow looking skeptical.
Don’t be shy, mister. No harm will be done to you.
Then, we need some colors.
For me, those will be:
1. Citadel Graveyard Earth as base
2. An extremely dilute Citadel Scorched Brown for shadows
3. Citadel Commando Khaki for drybrushing
But before we start, let us finish the base first.
As I said, I would like to modify the soldiers ground to give it a more personal touch. For that, I should use stones or gravel, but as I my resources are lacking in this point, I again had to improvise. Thanks to Mojo from WeaponsInMassProduction, I was able to use some self-made bricks.
So those will be cast on the base, looking like this:
Important: in order to ensure a constant fixation to the base you will have to glue those bricks to the ground, as they will not be fixed just by paint … which is the next problem: what colors to use?
As bricks have a red-brownish appearance looking like this:
my colors will be:
1. Panzer Aces Shadow-Flesh as base color
2. Citadel Bestial Brown as wash
Now we can start:
At first I begin to cover the base with Graveyard Earth – without painting the paratrooper if possible …
If you work on such a base, it is important that the color is not too thick. That would destroy the structure and the appearance of the base. Therefore you can dilute the paint.
And be sure that no glue or paste is still getting dry. As I have learned it doesn’t help if your brush is glued to the base. Don’t ask … there is nothing I want to tell you about it.
If you think that your color has become too dilute and your prime coat is still visible … no problem! Stay frosty. Just use a brush and remove the water from the base. Then you can cover the base again or you let the primer stay visible. It probably can add to the look of the base later on, as we are still adding some highlights to the base.
As Bob Ross would say: „a little happy accident!“
Let the base get dry. The outcome should look like this:
If you think that you have applied to much paint to the base just take another brush and soak it with water, before brushing over the base. That will help you removing the acryl paint from the base. Then you just have to remove the water and correct the mistake.
The next those bricks are done. As I said, I use Panzer Aces Shadow Flesh:
After that the base gets again a bit time to get dry.
Following thismy plan is to ink the Graveyard Earth to darken it and structure the sand as well as apply Bestial Brown to the bricks.
That looks like this:
and is followed by some little work on the bricks. Using the Commando Khaki color I add some grout to them.
That adds some nice variance to the colors of the base.
The next step is to dry brush the base. I use Commando Khaki (same color I used for the grout).
It is used to dry brush both the ground and the bricks in order to give it a little more structure.
If it is done the proper way, it should look similar to my outcome. (But, to be honest - even my outcome is not as perfect as professionals do it, just to keep that in mind)
Now it is time to apply some mat lacquer and then add some grass. But that will be done another day.
Hope that helped so far.