Sonntag, 9. März 2014

Basing tutorial - Part IV, no, V - FINALLY DONE! DESERT BASE FINISHED!



Okay,

So – I promised it and I normally keep promises – though I tend to forget them sometimes.
I am still surprised no one even told me I did.
Nevertheless – here we go: the desert bases tutorial, Part IV, no, V. Desert bases and *cough* dust …

At first I have to state – all who already know me and/or have read the previous tutorials may remember this – I am not the perfect miniature painter, so I often do much by try and error. That there is something that seems to work for me doesn’t automatically mean it works for you. So please try yourself if you wish to, but maybe with different colors or variations of layers.

(I am just saying this because I got an PM in one of the forums I presented my tutorial where a member complained about my work being bad and far from professional and so on bla bla bla).

So please – if you know a better way to do what I am achieving with quite simple means, feel free to do it your way :-D


Back to base … lol

I used three different kinds of ways to create desert bases. They are all quite "simple" and just differ in the numbers of layers applied.
Let us start with the most challenging one: the simple desert base.

 

 

SIMPLE DESERT BASE:


The first time I started creating a desert base I tried around (as I always do) but somehow had in mind to use three colors at least. A desert itself from afar looks like one kind of a color, so shadows won’t make the difference (I thought) :-D
 
- Base color is Revell Aqua Color Dark Earth, but could also be Citadel KV 88, Citadel Graveyard Earth or another sand color.
- First “highlight” is Citadel Kommando Khaki
- Second “highlight” is Panzer Aces White.



Then we need our miniature. The base should also be finished so far. In our case it will be this Elysian Trooper.



As you can see, I already colored the base in its main coat. To achieve this, I used some paint, put it on the base, and then immersed the brush into water. This makes it easier to use the color on the base itself and keeps the structure.



After the paint dried out, we go on dry brushing it with our first highlight and then our second. You maybe need to do it a few more times to allow the paint to show up on the sand color ground.



This is the same base, but I did some work on the contrast of the picture to point out what I mean. I hope it is clearly visible what I want to achieve.


After you finished both highlights it is possible to apply another color on the edge of the base or leave it as it is.
Then you can go on and glue some gras on the base or apply some mat lacquer. Just do as you want.

It is a rather simple base that produces a nice effect, but not exactly, what I’d like to have.



ANOTHER BASE – BUT, WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?!?


Another way of doing desert bases is this one:

This time I use as colors:

- Citadel XV-88 as base color
- Citadel Seraphim Sepias as first wash
- Citadel Scroched Brown as first Highlight
- Citadel Zamesi Desert as second Highlight
- Citadel Tau Light Ocre as Third Highlight
- Panzer Aces White as finish.


I don’t know why I used so many colors in the first place – it was just more some kind of a try, I guess. But it looked nice. Maybe a bit overloaded.

First of all, I start again using a lot of water to dilute the base color. After that, I apply Seraphim Sepia wash to darken the whole base.


Then I go on with Scorched Brown, dry brushing it on the base. But I do not dry brush the whole base as I wanted to achieve a rather discontinuous effect.



The next highlight is Zamesi Desert, then Tau Light Orce and White, all dry brushed.




But it looks way too dark, so I use Kommando Khaki and White again to light up all those dark brown areas.


Looks quite nice, but still I am not all to satisfied with it. It is to dark overall and to many colors – though those colors give it a quite nice effect.

But I have got another one …



“REGULAR DESERT BASE” OR – I LIKE IT!


So – once again.


This time I use the following colors:


- Citadel XV-88 as Base
- Citadel Nuln Oil as Shade
- Citadel Tau Light Ochre as first Layer
- Citadel Zamesi Desert as second Layer
- Citadel Kommando Khaki as third Layer
- And finally Citadel Graveyard Earth for the edge of the base

So let’s start with our paratrooper who is appearing on the scene – or more precisely: on the newspaper.


 Though he started to read a very interesting report about something I don’t mind, I start painting.

Did he pee on the ground? No ... it was me ... painting, I mean!
This desert adventure begins with our sand (or maybe more earth) color: XV-88.

Looks like he found a friend!
After the color has dried out I go on shading the desert color with Nuln Oil, making it quite dark.


After this shade has dried out, too I continue with the first layer: Tau Light Ochre. It has a rather orange color that contrasts very well to the more dark tone of the base.
As always I just dry brush it.


Next color is Zamesi Desert. In my opinion it works well to underline the sun shine that is always present in desert areas. The Layer is applied in the same way as the first layer was.




Both pictures are edited to make clear what I am aiming at – under "normal" light, it currently looks like this:



In the end we go on with Kommando Khaki and/or white, dry brushing it on the base to achieve a rather light effect and also an adjustment to the colors applied prior to this final step.


To be honest: the picture is way too dark, but I had no chance to make the effect more visible. In that case you would have seen nothing … sorry.

Finally, I paint the edge of the base with Graveyard Earth, to differentiate it from the whole base. I don’t like it when the Base has all the same color all over.

And then, our desert is finished.


Actually I like this third way of creating a desert base most because it presents a wonderful effect on the gaming table and it is easy to do, even when you working on large armies. But as always that’s just my opinion. So try it yourself, maybe you have got another good idea you want to share with me.

Otherwise I would like to thank you for your patience!

See you on the next update!

Take care!

Stargazer

Kommentare: