Mittwoch, 2. April 2014

Gallian Army Construction report No. 2: Gallian APC – run, boy, run!



Good evening all,

Its time to continue the construction of my Gallian APC.


The first task of the day was to piece together the parts of the running gear, which – I wrote about it in the first report – consists of parts from both tanks.
Surprisingly there were no major difficulties in the assembly, though the drill was unwilling to accept the drill head in the first place.
Die, bastard!


In order to lower my aggressions, I decided to use force as first mean of choice – it worked! Drill accepts drill head, drills hole into the track idler, track idler on the running gear, running gear finished … on 5 degrees west!


Then I turned towards the tracks itself …


... and put them away again. This is a bit too hard for what I am able to achieve. I think, I’ll ask my neighbor to help me with that. He is into miniature kit assembly much longer than I am.
Instead I went on with the vehicle and its details. The first part to be altered was the front. As you can see on the pictures from the Design Archive, the APCs design is typically “Gallian”, which means that its headlights and horn are mounted on middle of the engine cover. This turned out to be the next work I did.
After having sculpted and mounted the headlights, I went on cutting out a piece of plastic from my reserves. Having sawed and filed the whole new part of the vehicle front, I had to realize that the whole construction didn’t fit. Elements of the original kit were somehow warped. Oh, happy me.
Looks like I have to put on some green stuff later on.


Then my attention turned towards the back of the vehicle. Gallian APCs have different troop compartments than the German troop transports. So again I had to cut some plastic out of the plastic sheets and started to form a new tailpiece.
But before that I had to grind the tailpiece of the original 250/1 kit.


Yeah! It works!


Time to put everything together.


Just a bit more … yeah. Looks good so far!


But we are still not done. For a better access to the troop compartment, the vehicles rear uses a footboard. Well, why not? I have got enough material to finish this step in the whole process, too.


Yeah.

Then the roof … the German 250/1 is an open-topped vehicle, the Gallian APC is closed. That is a major difference, but no problem.
So the roof was filed until it was absolutely flat.


The new roof, also cut out from a plastic card, was prepared and put upon the vehicles top.



Okay, I have to admit: my result has become a bit … warped. But no big deal. I will use green stuff to make it fit later on. I love green stuff. How come I worked without it before?
Then I went on preparing the roof for the assembly for the machine gun and its cover and found … this:


I think, this will be useful later on. Keep that in mind. But for now, we will use the original MG mounted on some leftover from the prior work.


Another piece is done.

Time to use some more green stuff. Oh, yeah!


In the end, the APC looked like this.





And compared to the original:



Next update is on its way!

Take care

Stargazer

Kommentare: