Sonntag, 25. Mai 2014

Gallian Army Construction Report No 08 – Let’s Hetz!


Hi all,

This one originally is quite older, but as it takes a lot of time for me to translate my construction reports into English, I am now proudly presenting you: The Gallian Tank Hunter 38, a VC version of the infamous German Jagdpanzer 38 (t), called Hetzer.

VC fans now will scratch their heads asking me why I'm constructing a vehicle that didn’t make it into the actual game.
Well – here’s the answer: because I can.

I liked the Hetzer Tank Hunter from the first time I saw him (though I liked the Jagdpanther more) and using the vehicle in COH: BK mod regularly it just seems fair to make a VC version of it.
But as the VC Hetzer is from an early stage of the game, when those tracked vehicles were still using some kind of a petroleum fuelled engine, I’ll have to do some alterations to the engine.

My source. This Hetzer has Gallian markings on it.
Picture is taken from the Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive

Luckily, I was able to get an old model kit of a 10,5 Howitzer prototype mounted on the Hetzer running gear.
At first I started staring at the construction manual of the kit, laughing my butt off.
I have to admit, in German this sounds even more ridiculous than it does in English.




Then I started constructing the tank, having in mind to assemble the kit as it was shown in the manual and just alter the visible parts of the propulsion system.
I was looking forward to a wide-ranging cooperation, but was mistaken.
In fact, the tank resisted my attempts to assemble it very successful, so I was driven to both shame and some kind of respect for it. It was just like fighting the “big brother” on the battlefield.
The left main drive spocket snapped in half several times, because its mounting was unbelievably thin. After having fought the problem for at least an hour, I caught sight of a short notice set somewhere near the edge of the page explaining that the side I was assembling actually was the side that originally belonged to the other side of the lower hull (and all that in broken German of course)



To sum it up: let’s have a look at all those moments filled with success and relief:




And a short glimpse on what all those other moments were like:



But I hadn't reached the end of the line by then … it went on. Treads. I mean, actually, I like treads mounted on a tank. But treads made of several dozens of plastic elements which have to be put together … no. I hate them.



As you can guess, my assembly attempt totally went wrong. Yeah – I have had better times in life …


But can’t be helped. I’ll need to go on with the vehicle and later find some solution …


See you on the next update!


Take care


Stargazer!

Kommentare:

  1. There's no way that I could do a build like that and I'd love to paint up a tank. You got farther than I would have.

    Patrick is my favourite Sponge Bob character. Have you ever watched The Angry Beavers?

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hello Anne,

      Oh, I absolutely would love to see one of my tanks being painted by you, as I HATE painting vehicles at all :-D

      Yeah, Patrick and Squidward are two great Spongebob characters, though I have to state: I like Gary the most.

      I know Angry Beavers (in German "Die Biber Brüder"), but the show never appealed to me. I don't know what kept me from watching, but somehow I never liked it.

      Thanks for your comment and see you on the next update!

      Löschen